Sunday, September 25, 2011

Lifetime-Fitness Based Physical Education

When we think back to high school, many of us think of games such as volleyball, basketball, dodge ball, softball, etc. The focus of Physical Education was mainly on sports. By all means time should be spent on sports in Physical Education, however I feel that we should incorporate more lifetime activities into Physical Education class, especially in high school. Not all of the athletes in high school go on to play in college and a minimal amount of college athletes go on to play professionally. This is why we need to give our students the skills necessary to be able to take part in lifetime fitness. Activities such as golf, cross country skiing, rollerblading, walking, running, tennis, etc. are activities that people of any age can do to remain active throughout their life.

During high school, I was very focused on athletics. I was a three sport athlete, playing soccer, basketball, and lacrosse. Once I came to college, I still take part in sports on a regular basis, however I am beginning to shift my focus more to lifetime activities. As you get older, there are less and less opportunities to participate in sports on a regular basis. With lifetime activities, there are many opportunities for everyone wishing to participate. I am sure that I will continue playing sports for as long as I possibly can but I have started expanding my focus of physical activity. I want to give my students the knowledge and opportunities to do the same.

I started golfing when I was about 10 years old and I still golf whenever I can today. It is a great way to get out and be active. Golf is a great activity for everyone because it is a low impact activity while having great physical activity benefits. Throughout junior high and high school, my Physical Education class never incorporated golf into the curriculum. I think that this would be a great unit for students to get involved in because of its great benefits of being a lifetime activity. When I become a teacher, if possible, I am going to incorporate a golf unit into my curriculum, as well as many other lifetime fitness activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment